Count Every Hero is a nonpartisan initiative of retired admirals and generals and former service secretaries of the U.S. Armed Forces who have served under both Democratic and Republican administrations.
Count Every Hero has three primary focus areas: promoting the understanding of the importance of a strong democracy to our national security; promoting civic literacy and civic participation; and protecting the voting rights of our active-duty servicemembers, our veterans, and their families.
While in uniform, we actively defended the Constitution, and as veterans and citizens, it is our job to support it.
Count Every Hero organizes its work around the following principles:
1. A robust and properly functioning democracy is vital to our national security. That proper functioning requires strong and healthy civil-military relations.
- We promote a full understanding of why a robust democracy, to include a healthy electoral system, is important to our national security.
- We promote the understanding of the national-security implications of legislation that affects how our institutions and electoral processes function.
- We promote the understanding of the threat posed to our national security by the interference of foreign and special interests in our electoral processes. We support measures that strengthen the electoral process against these threats.
- We promote strong and healthy civil-military relations, which are essential to our national security, and which will preserve and protect the U.S. Constitution and will reduce the threat to the peaceful transfer of power or of post-election conflict.
2. A robust and properly functioning democracy requires both civic literacy and the meaningful participation of all citizens in the civic life of the nation.
- We promote the active and productive involvement of veterans and their families in our nation’s civic life, including in electoral and political processes.
- We promote civic literacy and an informed, engaged, and expanded electorate.
- We promote community and national service opportunities for Americans of all ages and backgrounds.
3. A robust and properly functioning electoral system must ensure that all voters’ interests are properly represented, and that all voters and election workers are protected.
- We promote the careful protection of the voting rights of our active-duty service members, of veterans, and of their families.
- We promote the continued development of improvements in the electoral system that increase voter participation and representation.
- We promote federal, state, and local measures that ensure the protection of voters and of election workers.